Sunday, June 21, 2009

Remembering my dad...

While I typically reserve my blog for photography related posts, bare with me while I take a minute to honor one of the most important people to ever touch my life...MY DAD.

I lost my dad to cancer in November of 2005. I miss him every day of my life, but on special days such as today, it's admittedly a little tougher. It was very important to me to honor my husband for the wonderful daddy he is to our boys, but at the same time there is a selfish part of me that is sad because my dad isn't here to fuss over today.

My dad had the biggest heart. He was admittedly a little rough around the edges, but when he loved, he loved hard...and would do anything for those that he loved. He was the most loyal individual I've ever known. He had quite the sense of humor and was as ornery as they come! I looked up to my dad always and loved him with all my heart.

When I mentioned today that I was a little sad and missing my dad, I was reminded by a dear friend to "look in the mirror" and I will see him in my eyes. As the story goes when I was a little girl people would ask me, "Where did you get those big blue eyes?" I guess my answer every time was..."from my daddy."

Like many I didn't get to have my dad as long as I would have liked to, but the time he was here he was the best daddy he could be and loved me and gave me the best childhood a kid could ask for. I'm grateful for the lessons he was able to teach me while he was here and for the values he instilled in me.

Bottom line...my dad was a good man and he was an even better daddy.

So if you are lucky enough to still have your dad around to hug...hug him extra tight today.


I love you, Dad!

1 comment:

Devan Meyers said...

Great post, Regan. I think little girl's relationships with their dads are so special.